Replacing or repairing a roof is harder than installing a new one. It can also be very expensive especially if it hasn’t been well-maintained for a long time. Many professional home remodeling companies remind homeowners to always inspect their roof for possible damage and it will help them save on high repair costs.
Since we have various extreme seasons, it can cause tremendous damage if those small problems are not taken care right away. So what are the things that we need to check? Below is a list that needs to be done in order to take care of your roof:
- Inspect them every spring or fall. This will be your reminder that during these season, it is a must for you to inspect your roof for safety purposes.
- Before you climb up, check the roof structure if it’s in good condition because for sure you don’t want to see yourself getting hurt when the roof foundation in compromised. If you see that some of the frames are not properly aligned, you better asked professional help in order to avoid accidents.
- Always ensure gutters and downspouts are free from debris. Clogged gutters from branches and leaves are often the primary causes of growing moss, fungus, or algae. Clean the gutter instantly and de-clog it so that water may freely flow going to the downspouts. If there are leaks, try to replace them but if you can’t, find a house remodeling company that can solve this quickly.
- On the other hand, make sure that gutter screens are intact and properly secured. Fasten them properly in order to avoid falling gutters during strong winds.
- Inspect roof shingles. Due to wear and tear caused by changing seasons, roofs are prone to damage. When you climb and check it, you might want to inspect the shingles first then check for cracks, or curling edges.
- If your roof is prone to ice damming, you need to know that this could cause a potential damage and accident. It’s better to be proactive and install heat cables before the winter season comes.
- Cut branches especially those larger ones in order to avoid falling branches into your roof and totally wreck it.
- The canals or valleys on the roof must also be cleaned and free from any debris because it can trap water or snow if it is clogged with leaves and other debris.
- If your roof is made up of mostly metal parts, you need to brush the rust to get rid of it then apply prime and paint afterwards since this will prevent further corrosion on the metal. In several years, you may need to do this process again since paints do not last a lifetime. The good thing is that you will not worry for a longer time.
Roofs that are not taken care will get you into additional and more expensive expense in the long run, but a well maintained roof does not only keep you worry free, but also, you are confident that you are protected and you won’t have to spend thousands of dollars just to have it all replaced because you failed to take care of them properly.
Roof problems can always be prevented as long as there is a routine inspection and maintenance. It can save you from huge and expensive repair costs and you are confident that your home is fully protected.
Ice Dams can cause major damage to your roof event in the middle of winter. We can help prevent ice dams from happening to your home. Click here to contact us or call us at (612) 405-8876 for a free estimate.